2015 AWARD WINNERS!
Nursery World Awards - HIGHLY COMMENDED
Practical Pre-School Awards - BRONZE
Reflective mirror balls provide a stretched version of reality that is distorted like a fish-eye lens giving a view which is other-worldly. Children will be fascinated to see items placed close to the mirrors including their own face enlarged in close-up. Made from hard wearing stainless steel, these beautiful smooth tactile balls are robustly constructed without being too heavy and therefore can be handled by young children with ease.
They can be used indoors or out and provide a focal point for displays. The silver balls provide a colour match with the surroundings which will promote interest and discussion.
Supports the EYFS and KS1 National Curriculum:
- EYFS Personal Social & Emotional Development: Self-confidence and self-awareness, Managing feelings & behaviour
- EYFS Physical Development: Moving & handling
- EYFS Understanding the World: The World; Technology
- EYFS Expressive Arts & Design: Exploring & using media & materials; Being imaginative
- KS1 Personal & Social Development
- KS1 Science
Supports quality provision using ITERS and ECERS
- ITERS-R:03. Provision for relaxation & comfort
- ITERS-R:15. Activities: Fine motor
- ITERS-R:17. Activities: Art
- ITERS-R:22. Activities: Nature / Science
- ECERS-R/E: Language & Reasoning, Activities, Science & Environment, Provisions for children with disabilities, Diversity
NW AWARDS - WHAT THE TESTERS SAID: "Suitable from birth, the Silver Sensory Reflective Balls provide a rich array of opportunities for babies and young children to experience multi-sensory play and engage in creative exploratory play and thinking.
As children roll and move the mirrored spheres, they observe different effects, encouraging them to question and seek explanation for what they see.
"Made from hard wearing stainless steel, the balls range from 60 to 150mm in diameter and can be used inside and out.
Teaching assistant Steph Virgo from Weald Community Primary School in Crowborough, East Sussex, says they first used the balls on a sunny day outside and the children were fascinated by their reflective qualities, which lead to discussion about reflection and properties of light.
Size: 60, 80, 100, 150mm diameter. Suitable from birth.